Path of Exile’s Patch 1.0.0 brought with it a number of changes including softened XP penalties and a bunch of new zones so I thought I’d do some testing to find out which zone is now best for out-of-map XP farming and leveling!
- Run the most popular XP farming spots in 1.0.0
- 3 runs of each zone recording the XP per hour (XP gained on run multiplied out over an hour)
- Solo on a level 79 character
- Employ efficient farming techniques
- Only picking up rares/uniques and currency items
- Only opening chests that are very close to where I ran
The Docks – Zone Level 62
Start XP: 838,999,904
End XP: 839,354,548
Start XP: 839,354,548
End XP: 839,657,816
Start XP: 839,657,816
End XP: 839,993,231
Average XP/H: 6,622,180
- Incredibly Safe
- Low Level Loot
- A fair bit of backtracking and you must Portal Scroll out of the zone to reset.
Lunaris 2 & 3 (Not Counting Piety Kill) – Zone Level 65/66
Start XP: 839,993,231
End XP: 841,858,483
Start XP: 841,914,262
End XP: 844,888,685
Start XP: 844,944,468
End XP: 846,636,203
Average XP/H: 18,392,488
- Lots of potential time wasted finding Lunaris 3 stairs
- Overall fairly safe if well geared
- Vunerability on Hit Mobs combined with being surrounded is the main risk
- Can do Piety kill after run for lots of loot and map drops.
The Library – Zone Level 67
Start XP: 833,111,950
End XP: 834,562,964
Start XP: 834,694,389
End XP: 835,714,368
Start XP: 835,714,368
End XP: 837,021,708
Average XP/H: 19,140,616
- Giant Skeletons and Rhoas do a lot of physical damage, significant risk to low Armor characters.
- Zone boss is very easy
- Door to Door zone resets improve overall efficiency
- Scroll Containers also have a high map drop rate
The Catacombs – Zone Level 67
Start XP: 827,106,865
End XP: 829,573,404
Start XP: 829,573,404
End XP: 831,662,406
Start XP: 837,021,708
End XP: 838,999,904
Average XP/H: 19,609,818
- Run is a big square ending up back at zone entrance, minimal backtracking.
- Scroll containers have high map drop rate.
- Very safe zone.
- Occasional Large Chest spawn on the route for bonus loot.
Based on the data the Catacombs appears to be the fastest XP per hour zone outside of maps in patch 1.0.0. The Library is very close in terms of data and we have to also assume a margin of error with such limited testing. However, Catacombs is much safer than Library for the average player so even if Library is more efficient it’s much more risky.
Lunaris appears to be the best option if you want a balance of loot and XP as you can kill Piety after each run for a large amount of loot.
Lunaris, Catacombs and Library all seem to be pretty good for building up a base of level 66 maps though with Piety’s 50% map drop rate Lunaris probably wins out.
Docks is not really competitive in any field and should only be used as a stepping stone into the farming the other zones.